Wednesday, February 5, 2014

It begins.

2013 was a great running year.  I started running with a new group of runners with a new coach and new direction.  After 10 years of just treading along, finally saw myself being pushed to reach my potential.  Experienced a PB in the 5k from 33 mins down to 23 mins.  Went from running 3 days a week to 6 days a week.  Just an incredible year with new friends and goals.

2014, was going to be a continuation of last year.  Planned on moving from training and racing for 5k races to 10ks and eventually a half marathon in the fall.  All that has been shot to crap. 

My training partner for the last year, the Minister, has a supreme goal of running Boston in 2016.  To inspire and make proud for his grandson of only a year old.  His goal is to give his grandson that Boston finisher's medal.  I, thinking 2016 is a long ways away, in the middle of our daily training sessions, blurted out, I'll run Boston with you.  A couple weeks later, not thinking much of it, Minister returns to tell me he has told his friends that his training partner, me, will be running Boston with him in 2016.  That got me thinking...crap, I NEED TO QUALIFY!  Registration for 2016 will open in September, 2015...which leaves me only 18 months to train for a FULL MARATHON and hit my qualifying time of 3:45.  ME who has not ran a half marathon or a distance pass 18k for 3 years. 

So, this blog will be my journey as I progress from a 5k racer to a full blown marathoner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment