Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Speed work in arctic conditions.

Tuesdays and Thursdays are usually quality workouts...speed work, tempo runs, hill training.

Today, we have myself, Coach, the Polish Prince, and 2 gals.  I will call them Diva and the producer. 
Workout was warmup followed by a set of 800 meters, 500s, 400, 300s, and 250s.  TOUGH workout. Total came up to 12k. It was so cold my hands were cold and fingers were hurting under 3 layers of gloves.  However, stars were aligned and was able to hit my times. I think I found the trick.  If I only focus a few meters ahead and just concentrate on form and keeping my pace, I can hold it.  As soon as I look up and see how much further I have to go, I lose it. 

The Polish prince was like a race horse.  He never stands still and is always zig zagging inbetween sets.  The Diva, I've never seen her without mascara and eyeliner, was lagging behind and dreaming about heat and a glass of wine.  The Diva forgot her glasses to block the wind.  At the end of the workout, she had one eye almost frozen shut.  She came up to me afterwards and asked if there was something stuck on her eye.  I said, yeah!  A big chunk of ice!.It was a big one!

Tomorrow's workout, an easy 12k.


No comments:

Post a Comment