Thursday, February 6, 2014

Winter that reminds me of my youth in Winterpeg.

2014 started off with a bang.  The first race of the year was only a couple weeks ago, the Robbie Burns 8k.  The Monday before the race, had a chance to run the course with Coach and go over my race strategy.  I've never raced an 8k before.  All of 2013 were 5k races.  All I could say was it was a lot farther than I thought.  It was a little overwhelming to hear the coach tell me when to slow down, when to speed up.  He would say now at this stop sign you are going to extend your stride by a fraction.  At this post you will swing your elbows back a little further.  All in all, the race was great.  It was -25C with windchill, snow on the ground, yet I was able to run it in 40 mins.  YEAA for me.

Great start to the season. 
This week, we had a huge storm.  The snow drifts in my front yard are over my head.  I haven't seen piles of snow like this since I was a kid, but probably because I was a bit shorter back then.  Needless to say, 1 run was scrapped and today's run was on the dread mill.  LOTS OF FUN!!  To pass the time while running on the machine, I watched CURLING. 

Goal races coming up..I have a 5k on Good Friday.
Another is the Mississauga half marathon.  I was planning on running the 10k, but this race will be a big one.  This will be the race that will see if a November marathon is feasible to qualify for Boston.  12 weeks to go and lots of miles to put in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment